- Paramount+ brings #1 hit podcast to the screen together with Cine Vaquero and Sonoro.
- First ever podcast-to-streamer adaptation in Spanish: Luis Gerardo Méndez & Sonoro partner with Paramount+ for first ever podcast-to-streamer adaptation in Spanish.
- Pioneering storytelling drives massive consumer engagement: Within 24 hours of its launch in April of 2021, Toxicomanía became the most successful Spanish language fiction podcast launch. The show became the #1 podcast in Mexico and across Latin America, and was the #2 fiction podcast in the United States. The podcast tells the incredible true story of Mexican doctor Dr. Leopoldo Salazar Viniegra and his campaign to legalize all drugs in Mexico in the 1940’s.
- Creative team: Sebastián Hofmann (director), David Gaitán (screenwriter), Luis Gerardo Mendez (EP, lead actor), Gerardo Gatica / Cine Vaquero (EP), Rainn Wilson (EP), Sonoro (EP).
- Luis Gerardo Méndez x Sonoro: Collaboration to bring world-class stories to life: first in audio and then beyond.
- The podcast market is growing globally, with more and more stories being told in multiple languages, as consumer demand for culturally relevant storytelling increases.
- Sonoro is a dominant player in the global podcast market, with 10 of the Top 100 podcasts in Latin America and 7 original #1 hits in English and in Spanish.
- Toxicomania was a pioneering global franchise that became the #1 podcast in Mexico and across Latin America and #2 in the United States.
About Luis Gerardo Méndez
Luis Gerardo Méndez is one of Mexico’s biggest stars, best known for executive producing and starring in Netflix’s first Spanish-language original comedy series, Club de Cuervos. An actor, writer and producer, Méndez most recently appeared in the third season of Netflix’s Narcos: Mexico, as well as in Los Enviados (The Envoys) for Paramount+.
About Cine Vaquero
Cine Vaquero was founded by Luis Gerardo Méndez alongside Mexican producer Gerardo Gatica. In 2021, Cine Vaquero struck a first-look deal with ViacomCBS International Studios to create, develop and produce exclusive Spanish-language scripted and nonscripted content for VIS and Paramount+ Latin America.
Sonoro is an award-winning global media company producing audio-first content with emerging and established Latinx talent. In just over two years, they have built a dominant audio network with 10 of the Top 100 podcasts in Latin America and have launched seven original #1 hits in English and in Spanish. Their English language fiction podcast, Tejana, won Best Fiction Podcast at the Ambies this year. Sonoro is repped by Oren Rosenbaum at UTA and Shaun Gordon at Weintraub Tobin.